Kilgore-Lewis House Stained Glass Ornament

$20.00

Home of the Greenville Council of Garden Clubs and host to beautiful weddings

Category:

Description

The Kilgore-Lewis house, built c. 1838 is representative of the homes of the elite in Greenville during the 1800s. Built in the Palladian style from heart pine, it is a two-story L-shaped design with a clapboard exterior. In 1855 Mr. Kilgore deeded the house as a wedding gift to his daughter, Mary, who later passed the house on to her granddaughter, Mrs. R. E. Lewis. Originally located adjacent to Buncombe Street Methodist Church, the structure was moved to a five-acre site near McPherson Park on Academy Street where it has been restored and is owned by the Greenville Council of Garden Clubs.