Whitehall was built as a summer residence by Charlestonian Henry Middleton on land purchased from Elias T. Earle in 1813. Middleton, son of Arthur Middleton (signer of the Declaration of Independence), was a U.S. Senator, a member of the S.C. House of Representatives and Governor of South Carolina. A simple white frame structure with shuttered windows, the most distinctive features of the house are the wide first and second story galleries, or piazzas, which serve as cool and shady breezeways. Whitehall was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 5, 1969.